Tuesday 4 February 2014

Oiligarchy

Created by Paolo Perdecini

About 20 - 60 mins 






You know, this blog is EASY. I just write whatever comes into my head and it like, is counted as information by way of it being somewhere online. Sorry, my head is still reeling from the existential wonderland of Infinite Ocean (last post). Anyway as I do these little posts I find I am checking out the creators of the games and looking at their takes, then looking at other bloggers who like these games and seeing their appreciation and critiques. I feel like I have stumbled onto a somewhat undiscovered, intellectual and wonderful part of the gaming community. However I will endeavour not to become too chinstrokey and therefore... buttocks, poo and willies. 

Oiligarchy is little, yellow and different. For a game made in 2008 it's very close to what we now are seeing as the uncaring reality in 2014. Tar sands, arctic drilling, fracking (it's gas I know), are all part of our reality now, and we don't seem to care as a people, let alone attempt to stop it. Apathy is rife.


However it's the little acts that count, and many kids who have mistakenly clicked on Oiligarchy thinking vacantly "Oo! I get to be an rich oil baron!" will have quickly and expertly been guided to the wisdom that oil is war, oil is subjugation and oil is ultimately inhuman. Whilst being very entertained. 


I've played through about 3 times now and each time I'm astounded about how much detail is in there, stats, peak oil forecasts, secret government plots to invade oil rich nations. There is deeper meaning in seeing how politicians are just passive partners that need a little money thrown at them in order to aid the oily agenda, it doesn't matter who wins when they are both being funded by the same interest. But we knew that already didn't we? 


Paolo Perdecini has managed a marvellous act of making the player the perpetrator of atrocity in order to 'win', pitting our morality against our ego in trying to beat the game. I also like how money becomes almost inconsequential next to the robot-like feeling of power you get in expanding and progressing at the cost of EVERYTHING. I've killed off indigenous tribes, massacred marine life, invaded the middle east, but I have yet to create human oil/fuel resources; I haven't yet got that far (I got the "Farewell West Ending"). Ironically the morally best ending for the world is the one where you 'lose' i.e. you lose your grip on politics, oil dependency decreases and there is the beginning of the transition to a more carbon neutral future. 


Here's a detailed postmortem by Paolo that will knock your socks off, play the game first though. I hope you enjoy it - JP


No comments:

Post a Comment